Forgotten Purrs
The time of ThunderClan, WindClan, RiverClan, ShadowClan and even the Tribe of the Rushing Water have long passed. The old heroes are just legends now, and the Ancient Clans, tales of LionClan, TigerClan and LeopardClan are scarcely remembered. Tales of Clans and Tribes spread from forest to forest, Twolegplace to Twolegplace, and although the rumors quickly spread, the warrior code, the purpose of Tribes and Clans remained the same. Thus, the first leaders came together: Magpiestar, Sunstar, Hollowstar and Mothstar. Although their beliefs and loyalties were divided, they each were strong and proud and knew their destinies: to rule the forest together, to respect one another, and to sacrifice everything for their friends. Now, those leaders, too, have passed, and it's your time to step up an aid in the rebirth of the forest.

Don't register unless you think you'll stay active! ;)
Forgotten Purrs
The time of ThunderClan, WindClan, RiverClan, ShadowClan and even the Tribe of the Rushing Water have long passed. The old heroes are just legends now, and the Ancient Clans, tales of LionClan, TigerClan and LeopardClan are scarcely remembered. Tales of Clans and Tribes spread from forest to forest, Twolegplace to Twolegplace, and although the rumors quickly spread, the warrior code, the purpose of Tribes and Clans remained the same. Thus, the first leaders came together: Magpiestar, Sunstar, Hollowstar and Mothstar. Although their beliefs and loyalties were divided, they each were strong and proud and knew their destinies: to rule the forest together, to respect one another, and to sacrifice everything for their friends. Now, those leaders, too, have passed, and it's your time to step up an aid in the rebirth of the forest.

Don't register unless you think you'll stay active! ;)
Forgotten Purrs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forgotten Purrs

A Warriors roleplay based on the best-selling books by Erin Hunter. (Banner by Star.)

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Mentoring Guide (:

Go down 
+2
Willow
Yancy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Yancy
Warrior
Yancy

Mentoring Guide (: Empty
PostSubject: Mentoring Guide (:   Mentoring Guide (: EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 1:29 am

Kay, so I made this guide (wasn't really sure where to post it x3) by the request of Willow. So here it goes. :D

MENTORING GUIDE

Welcome to the Mentoring Guide! Most of this info I got from the books. (Mostly the fighting techniques)If there's anything you'd like to add, please post. Thanks! <3

[Skip ahead to topics you want 2 read. They are in bold.]

So you have been assigned an apprentice! Ugh. Don't know where to start? Well here are a few traditional things that you might want to cover on your first day(s).

* Territory
* Boundaries
* Alliances/Enemies

Okay, your apprentice is begging you for battle training. Fine. Here are some classic moves to teach your apprentice:

The Front Paw Strike: Frontal attack. Bring down your front paw down hard on your opponent's head. Claws out.

Back Kick: Explosive surprise move to catch your opponent from behind. Judge opponent's distance from you carefully; then lash out with your back legs, taking the weight into your front paws.

Killing Bite (Teach a few moons later!): A death blow to the back of the neck. Quick & silent and sometimes considered dishonorable. Used ONLY AS A LAST RESORT. :)

Leap-n'-Hold: Ideal for a small cat facing a larger opponent. Spring onto opponent's back and grip, claws out. Now you are beyond the range of you opponent's paws and in position to inflict severe body wounds. Can work effectively for a larger group of apprentices to bring down a older/larger cat. Watch for the drop-n'-roll countermove, try to jump free before you get squashed.

Partner Attacking: Pretty basic but effective. Two partners are back-to-back and fending off opponents from their side.

Play Dead: Yep. Effective in a tight situation, such as when you are pinned. Your attacker will relax his grip, thinking you are dead. Stop struggling and go limp. When he relaxes, thinking you are defeated, push yourself up explosively, and will be put into a attacking position while throwing off an unwary attacker.

Scruff Shake: Take hold of scruff and shake violently until victim is too rattled to fight back.

Teeth Grip: Target a body part, sink your teeth in and hold. Like the leap-n'-hold, except your claws are free to fight.

Upright lock: Final, crushing move on an already weakened opponent. Rear up on back legs and bring down full weight down on your victim. If the victim does same, wrestle and flip him under you. Move makes you vulnerable to the Belly Rake, so requires great strength, speed, and skill, but is effective. A little risky.

If you are not satisfied and want to teach more advanced moves, GOOGLE em'. :D

YAY. Hunting. Just in case ya don't know, this is how it's done.

First, a little Common Sense needs to be put to use.

(Note: Yes, I know I used the main clans. But find out what your clan hunts/your clan's territory (River, pine trees, moor, etc..?). I may edit that in later. Bleh.)

So Know your Clan. If you are a ShadowClan cat, you will be hunting by night in pine filled forests and dumps and you must know how to creep silently through the forest. Hunting in WindClan will require speed and they hunt in wide open spaces. RiverClan cats need quick reflexes and a love for water, because most of their hunting will be done in or around water, and ThunderClan will usually hunt in forests with lots of undergrowth and they need patience, determination, and a very light step to catch anything.

Know what you're going to catch.
ShadowClan: Frogs, lizards, snakes
WindClan: Rabbits, mice, birds
RiverClan: Fish, water voles, shrews
ThunderClan: Voles, shrews, birds, mice, squirrels, rabbit

ShadowClan cats will slip along the shadows and throw their weight forward and sneak up down wind on their prey. RiverClan cats will wait by the riverside, keeping their shadows away from the water until a fish swims by and then lash out with one paw to flip it onto the bank and bite it.

WindClan cats will use bursts of amazing speed to tackle down their prey
ThunderClan cats will creep low against the ground and stalk their prey quietly using a variety of different leaps and blocks to catch their prey.
Give thanks to StarClan for your prey's life and how it will feed your clan because without it you and your clan could be starving to death. Never kill for pleasure only kill to feed.

--Stalking--

Taste the air. If the air is going in the wrong direction, the prey could smell you.

Get in a hunter's crouch. Make sure your tail is not dragging, and not wiggling in the air. Keep it pointed like a stick.

Slowly creep forward. Look out for any twigs, leaves, or anything that could give you away. Make sure every paw step is as lightly as possible. NO NOISE!!!!! That is very important. Make a noise and you will scare away any close prey.

Pounce on the prey.

Bite it's neck so it's dead. Then you've caught your own prey.

More specific (How to catch specific prey)

Fish: Sit down by the water and wait without moving until you spot a fish that you can reach with your paw. Make sure your shadow isn't on the water, or the fish will know you're there. Then reach out your paw quickly and hook the fish with your paw. Bring it onto the shore.

Mice and voles: Use the hunter's crouch. You crouch down low to the ground, upwind of your prey. You stalk it silently, and when you're in jumping distance, if it hasn't detected you yet, you pounce on it. Note: Mice can usually feel your pawsteps when you're hunting them before they see, smell, or hear you, so remember to step lightly!

Birds: Hunter's crouch, but if it spots you and tries to fly away, you might be able to jump up and grab it out of the air.

Rabbits: Hunter's crouch, but you might be able to chase it and catch it if it spots you. Note: Rabbits can usually hear you coming up behind them before they see or smell you, so step silently.

OH and teach your apprentice what's good and bad, what clans are known for, etc. BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Aaaand that's pretty much it. :3 I used the info from trusted sources (Da internet) so I wouldn't be feeding you false info. Anyway, thanks for reading, and leave comments below!! <3
Back to top Go down
Willow
Deputy
Willow

Mood : Tired

PostSubject: Re: Mentoring Guide (:   Mentoring Guide (: EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 1:32 am

OH THANK YOU YANCY I SHALL LOVE YOU FOREVER NOWWWW

Oh and it posted twice for some reason
Back to top Go down
Yancy
Warrior
Yancy

PostSubject: Re: Mentoring Guide (:   Mentoring Guide (: EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 1:34 am

It did? D;

Oh and your welcome. <3 I hope it helps!
Back to top Go down
HalfKitten
Deputy
HalfKitten

Mood : Friendly

PostSubject: Re: Mentoring Guide (:   Mentoring Guide (: EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 10:04 am

Yayayayayayayayay! Thank you thank you thank thank you! :D I currently do not have an apprentice but I want one and I will be good at being a mentor with your guide! Thank you!

Thanks, pal. :)
Back to top Go down
Whispers
Elder
Whispers

PostSubject: Re: Mentoring Guide (:   Mentoring Guide (: EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 4:01 pm

THANK YOU SOOO MUCHHHHHHHH!
I want to hug you now! Thank you so much for the mentoring guide! I will have an apprentice soon so this really helps!

THANKSIES! :D
Back to top Go down
http://the4elements.catsboard.com
Bandy
Deputy
Bandy

PostSubject: Re: Mentoring Guide (:   Mentoring Guide (: EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 5:25 pm

Yus, I needed this guide. Thank you. C:
I fail at roleplaying mentors. xD
Back to top Go down
http://www.bananabandanna.deviantart.com
Yancy
Warrior
Yancy

PostSubject: Re: Mentoring Guide (:   Mentoring Guide (: EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 7:43 pm

lol, well I hope this helps a little. And thank you all for the nice comments. <3

Back to top Go down
Magpie
Head Admin
Magpie

PostSubject: Re: Mentoring Guide (:   Mentoring Guide (: EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 7:39 pm

Thank you for creating and posting this. :)
I've moved it to the Rules section, as it is important and should be someplace that is frequently viewed, or at least someplace that is known as one of the more important sections of the forum.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mentoring Guide (:   Mentoring Guide (: Empty

Back to top Go down

Mentoring Guide (:
Page 1 of 1